H5P is a third-party plugin that you can use with Moodle or Totara Learn to create interactive content for your courses. If you are hosting with Lambda Solutions, this plugin is already installed in your LMS.
Here's how to set up an interactive video in three easy steps:
1. Create Activity
- Turn Editing on
- Click Add an activity or resoruce
- Select H5P Interactive Content
The content on the right to the list of activities can be really helpful, and the More Help link takes you directly to H5P Moodle Help
- In the Editor section, select Interactive Video
2. Add Video
- First, give your activity a name in the Title field
- Then add your video by clicking the + sign:
While you can upload a video directly to Moodle, it is best practice to host the video elsewhere. Here you can add a URL for your video.
3. Add Interactions and Question Types
- Select the Add interactions tab
- From here, you can add many different types of interactions to your video. The interactions are in the menu bar at the top of the video. When you hove over one of the icons, you'll get a tip on what that element does.
Interactions and Question Types
There are many types of interactions that you can layer onto your video content:
Adding Question Types
- Click on the desired question type
Click on the ellipses to the right for more options
- Fill in the settings
- Question text
- Question behaviour
- Edit the question panel display on the screen:
All question types can be configured to perform adaptive behaviour, meaning that a correct answer could cause the user to skip to a specified place in the video while an incorrect answer could take the user somewhere else in the video. Typically, submitting a wrong answer will cause the user to be directed to the place in the video where the answer to the question is presented.
You may also add bookmarks so that your users can skip to specified sections of the video on demand.
Add a Video Summary Task
Adding a Video Summary Task at the end of your video is an excellent way of assessing the learner's overall understanding of the video while adding another point of review.
Which looks like this:
3 More Super Useful Features
1. Prevent Skipping forward in a video (Behavioural Settings)
If you want to ensure that the learner watches the entire video, then enable the Prevent skipping forward in a video feature.
This is found in the
2. Show button for rewinding 10 seconds (Behavioural Settings)
Many learners want to be able rewind to review content.
3. Help Tutorials
Clicking on the Tutorial and Help buttons will take you to the H5P site where you'll find lots of great information and examples.
Now that you have an engaging interactive video for your learners, how do you know that they did it? Here are two great ways to track H5P Interactive Video Content
- Set the Completion
You can set an automated completion setting based on the grade based on at least one question type.
- Time Spent Learning
With the Zoola Analytics suite of plugins, you have an activity time tracker, which means you can track how long a learner has spent on any one activity.
If you have questions and a summary on your video, then you are generating a grade to the gradebook (for this activity). At the end of the video, the learner has the opportunity to check and submit their answers. This sends the grade to the gradebook.
These grades can then be viewed in conjunction with time spent learning to get a sense of how effective your video content is.
Click here to learn more on Tracking Video Content with Zoola Analytics.
- Master Class: Best Practices for Using Video in eLearning
- Lambda Lab: Build and Track Blockbuster Interactive Video